A Short History of the 121st Aviation Company
The history of the 121st Aviation Company, “Soc Trang Tigers,” dates back over seventy-one years to 10 February 1936, when the unit was activated as Company H, 2nd Battalion, 47th Quartermaster Truck Regiment. (Note: this predates the Transportation Corps.) Then on 1 April 1954, it was redesignated as the 93d Transportation Company (Helicopter). It was in this configuration that it arrived in Southeast Asia.
On 15 December 1961, the 93d Transportation Company (Helicopter) departed the continental U.S. for Vietnam to provide aerial transportation for the armed forces of the Republic of Vietnam (RVN). First stationed at Da Nang, it gained an outstanding reputation as it helped develop heliborne assault techniques, supply methods, and medical evacuation operations.
The unit then relocated to Soc Trang, RVN in September of 1962 and by so doing became the first Army helicopter company in the Mekong Delta. Because of its isolated location, the commander of the 93d Transportation Company was also the post commander of Soc Trang AAF. As such the unit was responsible for all aspects of its member’s lives, e.g., medical, security, air traffic control, communications, and much more. But these responsibilities in no way slowed the pace of operations. In December, the unit logged 1,000 hours of flying time. In January 1963, the unit was presented with a fifteen week-old Bengal Tiger. Although the tiger, named “Tuffy”, only stayed with the unit until June of 1963, his legacy was to the name, The Soc Trang Tigers.
On 25 June 1963, the 93d Transportation Company was redesignated the 121st Aviation Company (Air Mobile Light), retaining its men, equipment, and physical location. Only a few days later, on 4 July 1963, came the activation of the “Delta” Battalion later renamed the 13th Combat Aviation Battalion (CAB) at Can Tho, RVN.
In 1964 the unit H-21s were replaced by the UH-1, the Viking gunship platoon was formed and the year ended with a stunning victory over the Viet Cong. For its part in this victory the 121st Aviation Company received the Distinguished Unit Citation presented on 25 August 1966 by General William C. Westmoreland.
During the years the 121st Aviation Company served at Soc Trang (1962 to 1970) there were many accounts of dedication, skill and heroism. Many awards, both unit and individual, were given by a grateful nation in recognition of the contributions of this outstanding unit and the men who served her. Finally, in October 1970 the 121st Assault Helicopter Company (AHC) stopped reporting operationally to the 13th CAB. They started receiving missions from the local Vietnamese National Air Force (VNAF) Wing. Their primary mission was to train Vietnamese officers and enlisted men in the details of the transport side of the 121st AHC’s mission (gunships were not transferred to the VNAF). In December 1970, with the transfer complete, the 121st AHC ceased operations.
We, the members of the 121st Aviation Association, dedicate ourselves to researching and retelling these accounts, recording them, and making them available to future generations.
(This short history is based on official historical accounts of the 121st
Aviation Company recorded in Box 614, RG 472, Stack Area 270, row 33, Compartment 7, Shelf 11 of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in College Park, Maryland. The last period of the 121st
Aviation Company’s service is documented at: http://www.1stavnbde.com/13th/13th_Combat_Aviation_Battalion.htm